How is Eva’s managing COVID-19?
As we navigate the second wave of COVID-19, our organization continues to adapt our programs and supports in order to reduce the risk of transmission within our shelters, and continuing to wrap around our young people.
Our teams have worked to create new and innovative ways to support youth as they work through this challenging time.
- We have adapted our programs to be able to support young people as they physically distance within our shelters.
- We’ve reduced the number of young people in our shelters, moving some youth to additional facilities in order to limit the potential spread of COVID-19.
- We have shifted our operations to ensure we have clear COVID-19 processes and protocols for staff to follow.
- We’ve prioritized harm reduction services and harm reduction education across all of our facilities, to better support young people, as they adapt to this ever changing situation.
- We are asking staff to work from home if they are able. This is not possible for all our staff, and we are grateful to those who continue to come to work and provide much needed services to youth.
PROGRAMING FOR YOUTH:
The evolving COVID-19 pandemic has meant that the way Eva’s delivers programing to young people is also evolving. While we are attempting to continue programing where possible, some programs have been postponed out of an abundance of caution.
Eva’s Education and Life Skills Program:
Our frontline staff continue to support young people as they plan for their educational needs. We’ve also cancelled all volunteer led workshops/activities.
Eva’s Recreation Program:
- Recreation programs conducted in house continue, following recommended public health guidelines. Until further notice, activities external to Eva’s or involving large gatherings have been cancelled.
Eva’s Print Shop:
- The commercial operations of the Print Shop remain open for business with a small group of staff working in the shop from 9-5 pm on Monday to Friday.
- The Print Shop is closed to walk-ins from the public.
- Deliveries of orders will be handled by third party courier companies.
- Order pick-ups will be scheduled in advance and performed outside of the glass vestibule entrance to Eva’s Print Shop.
- Drop-in access to the training lab and print shop equipment will also be postponed until further notice.
Eva’s Family Reconnect:
- Family Reconnect will continue to provide services using video conferencing and over the phone counselling.
- Family Reconnect Counsellors will not be meeting youth out in the community.
- The Coordinated Intake Team will continue with all appointments as scheduled, working with youth to do assessments over the phone and rescheduling where and when necessary.
Follow up Support Services:
- Services for young people assigned a Housing Success Worker will be provided remotely, over the telephone, email and text to ensure youth continue to receive the care they need.
Employment and Training:
- Eva’s Employment and Training will also be postponing new cohorts of young people participating in our Employment and Training Programs in order to minimize risk to our shelter operations where youth are currently living.
- Harm Reduction Services at Eva’s Satellite location are continuing as normal, with additional screening protocols implemented by staff.
Currently Eva’s is postponing all events and group meetings with external stakeholders/partners. Virtual meetings will take place where necessary.
As the situation with COVID-19 evolves, we will continue to provide updates.