How is Eva’s managing COVID-19?
As an organization we have taken immediate steps to reduce the risk of transmission within our shelters:
- We have increased the frequency of our cleaning schedules.
- We are working to ensure staff and young people increase their hand washing and hand sanitizer use.
- We have posted notices on the doors of our facilities to remind youth to self-identify if they are feeling unwell or have travelled.
- We have identified isolation areas within each of our facilities.
- We have set up regular touchpoints with our Management Team to ensure we are able to respond effectively as the situation continues to change.
- We are asking staff to work from home if they are able. This is not possible for all our staff, and we are grateful to those who continue to come to work and provide much needed services to youth.
- We are asking staff who are ill, have symptoms of COVID-19, or who have travelled internationally, to self-isolate for 14 days.
PROGRAMING FOR YOUTH:
The evolving COVID-19 pandemic has meant that the way Eva’s delivers programing to young people is also evolving. While we are attempting to continue programing where possible, some programs have been postponed out of an abundance of caution.
Eva’s Education and Life Skills Program:
Programing that is delivered to residents on site will be adjusted as necessary. Effective immediately we are cancelling all volunteer led workshops/activities.
Eva’s Recreation Program:
- Recreation programs conducted inhouse are operating as normal, however any activities external to Eva’s or involving large gatherings will be cancelled.
Eva’s Print Shop:
- The commercial operations of the Print Shop remain open for business with a small group of staff working in the shop from 9-5 pm on Monday to Friday.
- The Print Shop will be closed to walk-ins from the public.
- Deliveries of orders will be handled by third party courier companies. Order pick-ups will be scheduled in advance and performed outside of the glass vestibule entrance to Eva’s Print Shop.
- Drop-in access to the training lab and print shop equipment will also be postponed until further notice.
Eva’s Family Reconnect:
- Family Reconnect will continue to provide services.
- Family Reconnect Counsellors will not be meeting youth out in the community.
- They will be connecting with youth over telephone, email and text.
- The Coordinated Intake Team will continue with all appointments as scheduled, working with youth to do assessments over the phone and rescheduling where and when necessary.
Follow up Support Services:
- Services for young people assigned a Housing Success Worker and Youth in Transition Worker will be provided remotely, over the telephone, email and text to ensure youth continue to receive the care they need
- As a result of this unprecedented event we will be delaying the movement of any youth into the YOUth Belong housing until further notice.
Employment and Training:
- Eva’s will also be postponing new cohorts of young people participating in our Employment and Training Programs in order to minimize risk to our shelter operations where youth are currently living.
- Impacted programs include:
- Construction & Building Maintenance Program
- Youth Succeeding in Employment (YSEP) Program
- Graphic Communications and Print Training Program
- Harm Reduction Services at Eva’s Satellite location continues as normal, with additional screening protocols implemented by staff.
Currently Eva’s is postponing all events, group meetings with external stakeholders/partners and internal group meetings.
As the situation with COVID-19 evolves we will continue to provide updates.